Kate A. Neugent
Kate Neugent has spent her entire legal career in family law, utilizing her strong work ethic and honest approach to protect the interests of her clients and their families. Kate represents clients in all areas of family law, including but not limited to divorce, paternity, third-party visitation, prenuptial agreements, guardian ad litem work, mediation, and arbitration.
Kate’s approach begins with an honest discussion of the client’s goals, the potential options, and outcomes and what clients can expect from her as their lawyer. Family law is often emotionally driven and highly contentious. If strong emotions arise, Kate is highly skilled at addressing her client’s immediate needs while helping them stay focused and move forward towards their established goals.
Kate is respected among her peers in the legal community for her professionalism. Her clients appreciate her compassion, understanding and respectful treatment, and have ranked her as a top attorney in the area of client satisfaction.
A proud graduate of Marquette University Law School, Kate is one of the most accomplished family law attorneys in Milwaukee. She is also a trained collaborative practitioner, a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst, and a certified mediator. Additionally, Kate has been included in the list of Wisconsin’s Rising Stars since 2009.
“In family law, it is important to choose your battles wisely, and not let emotions and contention dictate your actions. A good attorney is not one who litigates all issues, but the right issues.”
More about Kate & Kate’s reviews
Membership & Leadership Positions
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Family Law Section, Member
- Leander J. Foley Society of Family Lawyers, Treasurer, 2019 to 2021, President, 2021 to present
- Society of Family Lawyers, Secretary, 2018 to 2019
- Milwaukee Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- Committee Member, Consulting Committee for the Milwaukee County Safe Exchange and Visitation Committee, June of 2013 to present
- Collaborative Family Law Counsel of Wisconsin, Member
- The Institute for Divorce Financial Analysts, Certified Member
- National Association of Counsel for Children, Member
- Association of Women Lawyers, Member
- National Association of Professional Women
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Member
- Washington County Bar Association, Member
Certified Legal Specialties
- Completion of Certified Mediator Training with Zena Zumeta
- Completion of Guardian ad Litem Training
- Completion of Certified Divorce Financial Analyst Training
- Family and Children's Court Certified
- Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Juris Doctor
- Honors: Public Interest Law Society, Fellowship Recipient 2004
- Honors: Marquette Mediation Competition, Winner 2004
- Honors: Student Bar Association, 3L Class Representative
- University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Bachelor of Social Welfare
- Honors: magna cum laude
Classes & Seminars
- Critical Maintenance Principles From Temporary to Modified Maintenance,” Milwaukee County Family Court Judges and Commissioner’s Annual Retreat, Presenter, Milwaukee, February 2022.
- “Family Law Basics: Handling Post-Judgment Matters”, Milwaukee Bar Association, Presenter, February 22, 2021
- “Practitioner Panel”: Judicial Education Family Law Seminar, Presenter, Neenah, Wisconsin, March 2019.
- "Family Law: Hot Topics from Experienced GALs," Milwaukee Bar Association Family Law Section, Presenter, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, September 2017.
- "Hearing Children's Voices in Family Court," Judicial Education Family Law Seminar, Presenter, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, March 2017.
- "Basic Divorce," delivered at the 2016 Volunteer Lawyers Project, November 10, 2016.
- "Wisconsin Divorce Kit," delivered at the 2015 Wisconsin Solo and Small Firm Conference, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, October 2015.
- "Evidentiary Issues Concerning Medical Records from the Perspective of Parents and the Children," delivered to the Legal Action of Wisconsin's Volunteer Lawyers Project, Pewaukee, Wisconsin, November 2008.
- Article: “The Future of Voluntary Paternity Acknowledgments” 37 Wisconsin Journal of Family Law 93 (October 2020)
- “Family Court: Chapter 3” in the State Bar of Wisconsin Guardian ad Litem Handbook, 2018.
- Supplement on Wisconsin Prenuptial Law, published in Drafting Prenuptial Agreements (Wolters Kluwer, 2014-2016)
- Article: "Enhanced Earning Capacity: Is the Haugan Decision Functionally Obsolete?" 28 Wisconsin Journal of Family Law 2 (April 2008).
- Article: "Is the Haugan Decision Functionally Obsolete?" 22 Wisconsin Law Journal 7 (Feb. 18, 2008).
- Milwaukee Family Law Clinic
- Marquette Law School Mediation Clinic-Volunteer Supervisor
- Family Law
- Child Support
- Child Custody
- Property Division
Honors & Awards
- Wisconsin Super Lawyer 2019
- Wisconsin's "Rising Stars" in 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2012, 2011, 2010 and 2009
- AIOFLA 10 Best Under 40 in 2017, 2016, 2015
- America’s Most Honored Professionals, 2015
- Wisconsin’s Outstanding Young Lawyers, Family Law, 2011