1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Grandparent Third Party Visitation

Helping You Maintain A Relationship With Your Grandchild

Parents have the right to determine how and when a child will spend time with other members of their family. Sometimes, when extended family members develop a critical caretaker relationship with a child and then a parent removes the family member from the child’s life, it can be painful and detrimental to the well-being of  both the child and the family member. In this case, the parent-like family member may wish to explore  a legal remedy.

Our family law attorneys at Burbach & Stansbury S.C., understand that families come in all varieties. We know that children are vulnerable, and you may worry about a child’s well-being if you suddenly lose contact. Our lawyers can help you seek a visitation exception to maintain your relationship with your family member.

If you are a grandparent or a third party who is being barred visitation to a child, contact our firm at 262-257-9110.

Visitation Rights Could Legally Fortify Your Relationship

Whether you are a grandparent, a close relative or a former guardian of a child, you have the option to file for visitation. However, you must first demonstrate to the court that your presence in the child’s life is in his or her best interests.

Other factors the court takes into consideration when granting third-party visitation rights include:

  • Whether the third party has assumed parental responsibilities for the child prior to the filing of the petition
  • Whether the third party is undermining the parents’ relationship with the child
  • Whether the third party guarantees that they will not oppose the parents’ decisions for the child, especially when it concerns the child’s physical, emotional, education and spiritual welfare
  • The wishes of the child

We Can Help You Understand Your Options

Burbach & Stansbury S.C., can help you file for grandparent or third-party visitation. Schedule an initial consultation with our family law attorneys today at 262-257-9110 or through our online contact form.

We serve clients across Milwaukee, Waukesha, Ozaukee, Washington, Racine County and all of Wisconsin.